colorful for summer

Thursday, March 5, 2009

You asked ....

A lot of you have been asking what motherhood is like. I never seem to have time to actually write on here, but thought I'd go ahead and give it a shot. I seem to be too tired to come up with something completely coherent, so here are just a few thoughts to give you an idea of what our life is like these days ...

I didn't know becoming a parent meant...
  • Stacking today's unread newspaper on top of yesterday's unread newspaper.
  • Eating dinner like we're trying to break a world record for the most pasta swallowed in the shortest amount of time. Standing up.
  • Letting Josh choose between Griffin's lack of sleep, his eating issues, poop or laundry as a topic of conversation.
  • Figuring out how to pee without putting Griffin down.
  • Wearing a bra that looks like something from a 1930s catalog.
  • Spending three hours getting the baby to sleep and then waking him up two minutes later to make sure he's still breathing (okay, well we're actually over that now. but it used to be like that. now, if he's asleep, we do everything possible to keep it that way!)
  • Forgetting what you were...
  • sleeping for a mere 2ish hours at a time STILL
  • spending about 8 hours out of a 24 hour period breastfeeding
  • making the weirdest mistakes due to lack of sleep: putting the toaster away in the refrigerator, running the dishwasher without soap, running the washing machine without detergent, dosing off in the bath tub.
  • letting daily hygiene slip a little until noon or later. sometimes it's 4 pm before I remember I should probably brush my teeth.
  • doing laundry every day. every single freaking day.
  • laughing with Griffin until my cheeks hurt
  • loving him more and more every single day - we didn't know this kind of love was possible!
  • watching Griffin grab a toy intentionally and delivering so much praise you'd think he got up and walked at 4 months old.
  • craving that 5 minutes after a feeding where he's snuggly
  • watching him sleep - it's almost better than getting some sleep ourselves.
Despite all the adjustments to our life, Griffin is now the light of our lives. He is so much fun (most of the time) and has the most infectious smile around. I am absolutely living the life I imagined for myself - blessed with a beautiful baby and an amazing husband. : )

1 comment:

Laurie, Sam and Cohen said...

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with waiting to take a shower/get ready until after noon...and sometimes 4pm. I don't have a baby and do the same thing! :)

He sure is a cutie!! Excited to go through all of this with you.